About 2 weeks ago, I was about 37 weeks along, I went to a relief society dinner and by the time the dinner was over I realized that my feet were so swollen that they no longer fit on my flip flops. I knew I had been swelling but they had at least doubled in size during this dinner. The other weird part was that my right foot/ankle was at least a half size bigger than my left foot/ankle. I thought it was extremely weird, but I decided to sleep it off and see what they looked like in the morning. The next morning they were still just as swollen and therefore I went to the my greatest source of knowledge...Google, to find out what this meant. I found out that this kind of swelling was a sign of preeclampsia and to check on my blood pressure. Conveniently enough, I work at a doctors office so I had my blood pressure taken and it was 174/104 (normal average is 120/80). This freaked out the doctor that I work for so much that she sent me straight to the hospital. I spent a few hours in the hospital while they checked all my levels and everything looked fine other than the high blood pressure. They sent me home on limited activity bed rest for 2 days. FYI-bed rest is not my favorite. Two days later I followed up with my OB/GYN and my blood pressure was still way too high so I made another trip to the hospital for them to check my levels. The levels came out fairly normal so they sent me home again but on a strict bed rest; I was only supposed to get up to go to the bathroom and that was all. FYI- This kind of bed rest is way worse! I was extremely bored. I was on bed rest the whole weekend (thank goodness it was general conference weekend!) and then on Monday went to follow up again with my doctor. Surprise, surprise, my blood pressure was till extremely high. My doctor decided it had gone on too long and wanted to induce me. Yay!
My mom did a little photo shoot for me outside the hospital. This is me at 37.5 weeks.
So, I went back to the hospital and was right away put on magnesium. I decided after being put on magnesium, that I hate magnesium 500% more than I hate bed rest. It makes you feel horrible! The magnesium was used to make sure I didn't have a seizure because of the high blood pressure. Soon after they put me on pitocin, and put in my epidural and broke my water and within no time I was dilated to a 4. Yay!...or so I thought.
I went all night and all the following day still dilated at a 4. They tried different things to get me to progress more, but the combination of the pitocin inducing my labor, the magnesium relaxing my body, and the epidural relaxing my contractions, I was just not getting any farther. It was decided that I would have a c section. I had been in labor long enough and my water was broken the day before. I had the c section and my beautiful Bennett Boyd Call came at 7:14pm at 7 lbs 9 oz and 20.5 inches long.
He was/is absolutely perfect. He came 100% healthy and with no problems. I had a new love in my life. :)
This was the first time that I got to hold him. Wow! There is no better feeling in the world!
I have never seen Phil happier. What a proud daddy!
Phil, Bennett and I are so blessed to have so much loving family surrounding us.
Although the labor and delivery was not as I had planned it to be, there were so many simple blessings to having Bennett this way. I wouldn't even know where to start. But...what I do know is that we have the sweetest, most adorable, perfect child that I am eternally grateful for.
He is the most beautiful baby in the world!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! He is so precious! We totally have the same Doctor too, hehe! Glad everything went smoothly. Enjoy your little one!!!
ReplyDeletesuper cute! congratulations!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I'm glad everything turned out ok. He's adorable, i can't wait to meet him!
ReplyDeleteHe is so precious! Congrats again!!
ReplyDelete