Thursday, May 23, 2013

Green Thumb By Marriage

On Valentines Day weekend, Phil and I planted our garden. We were super excited to plant one finally, because we just missed planting season last year when we moved into the house.
We started out with planting some flowers. I have always envied my moms flowers in her front yard and was dying to have some of my own.




Then we went to town and organized the sprinkling system and planted the seeds. The tomato plants were the only ones that were actual plants when we planted them. Everything else came from seeds. We planted 6 plants of tomatoes (2 different kinds), 2 jalapeno plants, peas, basil, lots of beets (for the beet greens- its a very yummy salad etc.), loads of carrots, 2 bell pepper plants, cucumbers, cilantro, chives, green onions, and squash.






One month later....


                    Squash                      
2 Jalapenos, Cucumbers, Peas
Carrots
Beet greens, Tomatos
Cilantro
 
 Chives, Green Onions

3 months old....
Squash
 We have gotten goods out of every plant except for the green peppers. Those still are about 2 inches high...no idea why. The tomatoes have a few sun burnt spots which is why they don't look super green but they still have given us the sweetest and juiciest tomatoes. I am in love!
At the very bottom you can see how the squash (bottom left) and cucumbers (bottom right) have grown out of the garden wall. I had no idea they would get that big. Shows you how much I know about gardening. 
We planted 2 peach trees too and we actually got some goods off of 2 of them so far. One tree produced 4 big juicy peaches and the other one has probably a dozen small juicy ones, with hopes of more to ripen before birds get to them.

I am beyond impress with the green thumb that I married into. I know that its truly only a green thumb by association because I have tried to grow things in the past and it didn't work out as well. Glad that I have Phil to keep my garden in line. 

3 comments:

  1. Love how you guys did the wall. We just used cinder block and pavers on top. In fact, Phil helped Vaughn with that too!

    ReplyDelete